I'm a painter, tutor and author of two books of my art and travel sketches and writings. My passion for wildlife and environment and trying to help conserve them leads to my work in recent years primarily depicting wild animals in the landscape. Usually created from life, Out There (my favourite place to be). I especially love birds and undertake regular volunteer counts for the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) along with various other conservation efforts.
My Discovered Worlds are the other side of my creative practice and the side which most people are less familiar with. Despite their otherworldly look these works are still strongly inspired by nature but with my imagination allowed to make more of its leaning towards the fantastical, the direction it has leant in all through and since childhood.
2002 – 2006, Edinburgh College of Art, BA (Hons) Drawing & Painting
KEY ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENTS
- 2019/2020 – Railway Heritage Trust grant for renovation of disused building at Burntisland railway station to become studio and exhibition space.
- one of Edinburgh-based charity Art in Healthcare’s main Artist Facilitators & Artist Adviser on Art Selection Committee.
- 2013 - Landscapes & Birds of Scotland, an Artist's View published. 120 page book showcasing sketches, paintings, writings from art nature explorations of Scotland, including ongoing Scotland By Rail project supported by ScotRail.
- 2013 - Bet Low Trust Award towards RGI Kelly Gallery exhibition.
- 2010 - Royal Over-Seas League (ROSL) Commonwealth Travel Scholarship - 6 week sketching trip crossing Canada by rail. Results published as book Sketches from Canada.
- 2008 - Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolour (RSW) Alexander Graham Munro Travel Award - travel to Orkney.
PUBLIC COMMISSIONED WORKS
- Dalry, North Ayrshire - six large outdoor paintings for award-winning railway station
- Royal Observatory Edinburgh - four 4-metre high canvases on permanent display at ROE UK Astronomy Technology Centre
- Woolmanhill Hospital, Aberdeen - two-piece painting based on Rattray Head lighthouse and dunes
- gives talks about art & nature travels, including Scotland By Rail.
- runs many workshops including for local art groups, local nature groups, Scottish Seabird Centre, primary schools.
website - www.leodufeu.co.uk (new site coming soon)
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter - 'Leo du Feu artist'
blog - www.landscapeartnaturebirds.blogspot.com