My work focuses on the human figure. I am interested in the emotive qualities of body gesture, colour and mark-making.
My practice is rooted in observation, memory and the power of imagination. In each piece I am constantly searching beyond mere appearance, attempting instead to connect the vulnerability, fragility and impermanence of the individual with the sense of a common and shared humanity that a viewer can identify with.
I work primarily in oils but also make unique works on paper using monotype and other print media.
- Master of Fine Arts (Painting and Printmaking), New York Academy of Art 2013-2015
- Diploma in Drawing and Painting, Leith School of Art 2010-2013
- PhD, The University of Sydney 1989
- Bachelor of Science (Distinction), The American University of Beirut 1982
- ‘In Reverentia’, a Two-Person show with Emma Rodgers, Campden Gallery, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire
- ‘Traces Remain’, Pontone Gallery, London
- ‘A Life More Human’, Union Gallery, Edinburgh
- ‘Being Human - Observed, Remembered, Imagined’ a Two-Person show with Joyce Gunn Cairns, Smithy Gallery, Glasgow, Scotland
- ‘Markings’, Galerie Alice Mogabgab, Beirut, Lebanon
- ‘This Life to Me’, Union Gallery, Edinburgh, Scotland
- ‘Empreintes’, La Reine Blanche Scene des Arts et des Sciences, Paris, France
Selected Recent Group Exhibitions
- The Biennial Ruth Borchard Self-Portrait Prize Exhibition
- Pontone Gallery, Opening Exhibition, London, England
- ‘Scottish Exhibition - A 10th Anniversary Exhibition’, Stafford Gallery, London, England
- Royal Society of British Artists Annual Exhibition, Mall Galleries, London, England
- Pastel Society Annual Exhibition, Mall Galleries, London, England
- ‘Art Miami’, Pontone Gallery, USA
- ‘Masters of Paint’, Pontone Gallery, Augusta, Georgia, USA
- ‘Only Human’, Fidra Fine Art, Gullane, Scotland