We are delighted to invite applications from Scottish makers for the fourth Visual Arts Scotland : Inches Carr Craft Creative Development Award 2022.
The purpose of the award is to enable makers to develop their practice to a higher level, consider innovation and introduce new materials or techniques to their existing practise. The award is £5000 for a maker, plus an additional £2000 for a mentor whose discipline and/or professional experience would add value to the winners practise. Another purpose of this award is to encourage and mentor makers to develop their practice to a higher level, consider innovation and introducing new materials or techniques to their existing practise.
Shortlisted artists will be invited to exhibit a body of current work in a dedicated section of Visual Arts Scotland’s next Annual Exhibition at the Royal Scottish Academy, 10th January - 1st February 2022. The winner will be selected from the shortlisted artists and announced during the exhibition. The winner will be invited to develop a new body of work to be exhibited at the subsequent VAS annual exhibition. VAS will support the winner in the development of their project and promote it through their online channels and events programme.
We will also present the progress of Stefanie Cheong winner of the most recent Inches Carr mentoring Award.
The deadline for applications is 15th November 2021.
- This is a development award and is aimed at makers who are looking to develop a new body of work or expand their existing practise
- Applicants must have been living and working in Scotland for four or more years, and at least four years since graduating
- The award is open to makers, applied artists, designer makers and craftspeople working in any discipline. Fine art disciplines including printmaking are not eligible
How To Apply:
Please send your application in one single PDF/WORD document complete with up to five images of supporting work, your artist’s statement, website/social media links, a statement of intent/proposal, sand a short CV to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please complete our Equal Opportunities form at time of submission. This is anonymous and can be completed HERE.
- Applications open on 7th october 2021
- The deadline for applications is 15h November 2021
- Images should include your current or most recent work. You may also include any prototype or preliminary research images that correspond to your proposal
- The images submitted should show the work to be exhibited at the 2022 VAS exhibition
- Submitted images might be reproduced in publications to accompany the exhibition so please make sure you have permission to use the image and credit photographers as necessary
- There is a charge to non VAS members of a £10 admin fee. This opportunity is free to VAS members. Please title your payment 'Inches Carr Application' and pay HERE
- Shortlisted artists will be informed in the week commencing monday 22nd november 2021
- Submissions will be judged both on the written proposal, and the quality of work proposed for the exhibition. The proposed work should show where you are currently in your creative practise, and your written proposal should clearly demonstrate how the award would build on this and help you in your continued creative development
The Purpose of the Award:
The award should be used for a project that will help the maker to expand on their current practise. This can include but is not limited to;
- Attendance at workshops or courses to expand your existing skill set
- The purchase of equipment to explore new techniques that would expand your practise
- Material experimentation
- Employing a mentor to assist you in your creative (and/or business?) development
- Travel for research and development purposes
The panel will consider the following in drawing up the shortlist;
- A clear demonstration that the applicant has considered a new direction in their work and has an understanding of how the award will further their goals
- The clarity of the proposal and ability to convey potential outcomes
- The quality of the artists current work and its appropriateness for inclusion in the Visual Arts Scotland exhibition
- Applicants are encouraged to focus on a single area for development, and not to include too many varying outcomes
Terms and Conditions:
- The shortlisted artists must make the selected work available for exhibition from 1st January - 1st February 2022
- Any exhibited work that is for sale will be subject to VAS’s standard commission of 35%. The work does not have to be for sale
- The maker will be required to document the development of the project as it unfolds for monitoring purposes, and for future use by VAS and Inches Carr via the press, social media and within publications. This should take the form of images of the work in progress, developmental sketches, etc.