Originally from the Netherlands, my diverse career path has taken me from semi-professional tennis in my youth, to civil engineering at Delft University of Technology, a PhD in Coastal Engineering from the University of Aberdeen, to fine art.
Now as an award-winning artist I produce work on Scottish cultural heritage, landmarks and industries using oil paint and intaglio printmaking techniques.
My artistic explorations have taken me to the shipyards, heliport and hangars of Aberdeen, the ‘Oil Capital of Europe’, where workers grump and joke with each other in muted tones at red-eye time. To the barns where the whisky casks are made; a trade associated with traditional skills and craftsmanship, yet remaining a modern and vital part of the industrial landscape to Scotland’s favourite tipple. To Knockando Woolmill, who produce woollen textiles on Victorian machinery, and in the bars where locals dance into the early hours to fiddle music after a long week of grafting.
Drawings are created at unique locations, amidst the hustle and bustle, with production in full swing, and subsequently transformed into oil paintings and limited edition copper plate etchings. Having lived in Scotland for over a decade I see its beauty in the natural grit of everyday life. My picture-postcard Scotland gives a ‘rough around the edges’ portrayal, a Scotland absorbed in work and play, and at one with its environment.
Awards and Permanent Public Collection
• 2016, Visiting Guest Artist Full Fellowship, Scuola Internazionale di Grafica, Venezia, Italy
• 2015, The Colin Dakers Memorial Purchase Prize, Meffan Museum and Gallery, UK
• 2014, RSA Latimer Award, UK
• 2012, The Aberdeenshire VISUAL ARTISTS' AWARD
• Multiple works held by Aberdeen Maritime Museum
• Work purchased by Angus Council and part of art collection
• 2017, Whisky Galore, Gallery at 55, Stonehaven.
• 2017, Art of Industry, Meffan Museum and Art Gallery, Forfar, UK
• 2016, Art of Industry, ‘Art in the Waiting Room’, Aberdeen, UK
• 2016, Aberdeen Airport in collaboration with Heinzel Gallery, Aberdeen.
• 2015, When the boat comes in, His Majesty’s Theatre’s Dress Circle Bar, Grampian Hospital Arts Trust, Aberdeen.
• 2016, Edinburgh Macmillan Art Show, Bonham Auction House, Edinburgh Fringe.
• 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, ROYAL SCOTTISH ACADEMY EXHIBITION, the Mound, Edinburgh.
• 2016, Stuffed Gallery, Newave Gallery, Aberdeen.
• 2015, 2016, National Open Art 2015 Competition, Royal College of Art, London.
• 2015, Winter show, Gallery at 55, Stonehaven.
• 2015, Winter exhibition, Meffan Museum and Art Gallery, Forfar.
• 2015, 3-Man Show , Heinzel Gallery, Aberdeen.
• 2015, Annual Exhibition, New English Art Club, the Mall Galleries, London.
• 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, ABERDEEN ARTISTS Society 81st ANNUAL EXHIBITION, Suttie Arts Space at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.
• 2015, Markmaking, SMART Consultants Exhibition, Aberdeen.
• 2014, 2015, ROYAL Society of BRITISH ARTISTS Annual Exhibition, the Mall Galleries, London, UK
• 2012, 2015, VISUAL ARTS SCOTLAND, the Mound, Edinburgh, UK
• 2014, Winter show, GalleryTen, West End, Edinburgh, UK
• 2014, Edinburgh Art Fair, Edinburgh Corn Exchange, November, UK
• 2013, DERWENT ART PRIZE, Mall Galleries, London, UK
• 2012, BITE, the Mall Galleries, London, UK
• 2011, SCOTTISH DRAWING COMPETITION, Paisley Art Institute, UK