My name is Ane Lopez and I am a recent graduate from The Glasgow School of Art, where I undertook a masters in Communication Design.
As an artist I often experience a constant battle between the use of words and the use of images to convey matters that are difficult to express, things that are perhaps considered ineffable or not possible to be expressed with words.Whilst acknowledging that language in itself may not be sufficient to fully capture and express the profound and complex notion of the invisible, I nevertheless approach my work aware that language, when utilized outside of its normal confinements of the page or of speech, can be implemented creatively as a remarkably effective tool in the search for artistic expression.
My previous knowledge of fashion and textiles is at the same time, very present in my constant appreciation of fine details, alongside the inherently three-dimensional character of my work.
More recently my work has made a shift towards a more multidisciplinary practice, exploring alternative mediums to convey greater matters, those of which embody and produce the sublime. Edmund Burke connected, in his ‘Philosophical Enquiry’ of 1757, the idea of the sublime “with experiences of awe, terror and danger. Indeed, Burke saw nature as the most sublime object, capable of generating the strongest sensations in its beholders.”(Burke,n.d). With Burke ́s theory of the sublime and nature in mind, my practice is currently focused on the search for different modes of conveying the effects of climate change, looking to reconnect
- Master in Design in Communication Design. Glasgow School of Art. 2015 -2017.
- Textile design short course. Central Saint Martins. 2013
- BA Fashion Design. LCI Barcelona, Oficial School of Higher Education in Design. Barcelona.2008- 2012.
Awards and residencies
- Shortlisted for Visual Arts Scotland´s Graduate Showcase. 2017
- Sustainability Degree Show Prize.Runner up. 2017
- Sustainability in Action Group Fund. 2017
- Thomas and Margaret Roddan Trust Bursary. 2016
- Communication Design / Graphics Illustration Photography Postgraduate Scholarship. 2015
- NES Artist Residency, Skagastrond, Iceland, 2014.
- Mdes Communication Design Degree Show. 2017
- Burnt Out. The Art School. Glasgow 2017
- GSA Art and Ecology Society Launch event. Red Dessert screening followed by panel discussion with Justin Carter, Carl Lavery & Vassiliki Kolokotroni in collaboration with Jessica Pette
- Ljos in collaboration with Max Parnell. The Art School. Glasgow 2016
- Mdes Communication Design Work in Progress Show. The Art School. Glasgow 2016
- Nebula. The Art School. Glasgow 2015.
- Coalesce. Gúttó. Saudarkroki, Iceland, 2014
Selected work placements:
- Wardrobe Assistant. Dresser. Cirque du Soleil. Kooza. on tour. 2013-2014
- Junior womenswear designer. Happy Punt( supplier Topshop, River Island, Zara) 2012- 2013